Director, Consultancy, Dubai
Carwyn specialises in supporting firms with their day-to-day compliance requirements, in particular, the provision of outsourced compliance officer and MLRO services to DFSA authorised Firms. Carwyn has also helped Firms attain DFSA licences over the past year. Carwyn’s experience covers investment banking, wealth management, asset management, and full-service banking operations.
Carwyn has been a compliance professional for 15 years. His early career involved a role as the UK Compliance Manager for the Global Financial Services BPO organisation, ICT Group, before working as a Compliance Officer for the regulator of the UK National Lottery. Carwyn was asked to rejoin ICT Group as European Compliance and Training Director, where he controlled a team of 180 staff across the UK, Ireland, Argentina and the Philippines, and developed the compliance framework to meet European regulatory requirements, particularly those of the FSA (now FCA).
In 2008, ahead of the financial crisis, Carwyn joined the FSA where he was a Banking Supervisor for an international bank with large banking operations in a high risk financial crime territory. In addition to his day-to-day supervision activities, Carwyn led the end to end authorisation process for a full service bank, with focus on governance, liquidity, risk management, financial crime control and outsourcing oversight. Carwyn also represented the FSA at cross governmental body fora, including international regulatory committees.
More recently, Carwyn worked as a Senior Manager with Deloitte in London. In this role, he advised financial services organisations on a variety of regulatory risk areas. Carwyn has led work with investment banks, broker-dealers and asset managers in assessing the effectiveness of their compliance function and implementing his recommendations to strengthen compliance controls. He has also led a section 166 review on behalf of the FSA, assessing the adequacy of compliance and financial crime controls within a global broker-dealer. At Deloitte, Carwyn was responsible for devising and delivering annual in-house AML and risk training to 250 colleagues within the practice, including the Partner group, as well as providing new recruit training on AML and risk.
In his current role as Director, Consultancy at CCL Limited in their Dubai office, Carwyn has delivered consulting services to a number of Firms within the DIFC, and also Firms supervised by the UAE Central Bank. Carwyn frequently delivers AML and CTF training to DIFC authorised firms, as well as financial services companies across the GCC. Carwyn also outsources his services as Compliance Officer/MLRO for 5 DFSA licensed firms, where he provides real-time regulatory advice and assurance to the Board of each firm.
Recent work includes:
- Authorised by the DFSA as Compliance Officer and MLRO for Asset Managers, Hedge Funds, a Corporate Finance house and a Credit Provider;
- Led a Hedge Fund through DFSA authorisation and DIFC incorporation;
- As part of a remediation programme, Carwyn created Custody and Client Money procedures and a responsibility matrix for a custodian, followed by the delivery of a training programme to firm’s senior management;
- Acted as a skilled person, overseeing a remediation programme in response to AML failings within a DFSA-authorised custodian;
- Lead member of an FSA Section 166 review on the mis-selling of interest rate hedging products in one of the world’s largest banks;
- Restructured the compliance function of a global Asset Manager’s offices in the APAC region.
Email Carwyn Evans +971 4323 0800