Ilona specialises in providing AML and KYC advisory support to our clients in the UAE’s Financial Freezones, the DIFC and the ADGM.
Before joining CCL in 2017, Ilona was an authorised Compliance Officer and MLRO for a DFSA regulated Category 3C investment manager, Dalma Capital Management Limited, where she was responsible for overseeing firm’s compliance and corporate governance framework in the DIFC. Prior to this, Ilona was the Compliance Officer and MLRO for a Category 4 DFSA regulated fund administrator with a subsidiary office in the DIFC, Apex Fund Services, where she was responsible for the firm’s compliance function and corporate governance framework, in addition to carrying out mandatory regulatory reporting under FATCA and CRS for firm’s funds under administration. During her time with Apex Fund Services, Ilona managed investor relations and compliance teams and was responsible for developing manuals, procedures and policies for corporate disclosure, hiring staff, implementing and establishing internationally recognised best practices.
Prior to relocating to Dubai in 2014, Ilona was based in the Cayman Islands where she worked as part of the Investor Relations team for a CIMA registered fund administrator, Harmonic Fund Services. It was in this role that Ilona developed ardent acumen of corporate governance and compliance, which led her to pursue a career in compliance. Her in-depth knowledge of the funds regime extends to hedge funds, private equity fund structures and real estate funds.
Ilona has extensive experience of funds registered and domiciled across numerous jurisdictions, including Cayman Islands, Bermuda, BVI, Malta, Mauritius and the DIFC, and has previously served as a non-executive Director on the board of a Bermuda registered mutual fund.
Ilona holds a Bachelor degree in Business Studies from Middlesex University (UK), an International Compliance Diploma, and Certificates from the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) in Wealth Management and Risk in Financial Services.
Recent work includes:
- Authorised by the DFSA as the Compliance Officer and MLRO for a Corporate Finance Firm, Sharia Compliant Wealth Management Bank, Asset Manager and a Branch of a Danish FSA regulated fund management company in the DIFC
- Assisted with the application of an ADGM based Category 3C firm, including developing full suite of compliance documentation
- Provided support to a Category 3C firm based in the DIFC in withdrawing its licence and subsequently liquidating its DIFC and Cayman domiciled companies
- Produced the gap analysis for Compliance and AML related policies and procedures between a Denmark-based fund management company and its DIFC Branch
- Assisted a Sharia Compliant Wealth Manager with their application for DFSA Retail Endorsement and revision of related policies and procedures