Based in our ADGM office, Kareem specialises in supporting ADGM/FSRA and DIFC/DFSA authorised firms with their day-to-day compliance requirements as their outsourced compliance officer and MLRO. Kareem’s experience covers brokerage, asset management, fund management, corporate finance.
Kareem joined CCL in 2018 from Equitativa Group where, as the Head of Compliance, he focused on managing and promoting the compliance and AML framework for their category 3C subsidiary in the ADGM, managing Sharia-compliant REIT.
Before joining Equitativa, Kareem was the Head of UAE Regional Compliance for Renaissance Capital (Dubai) Ltd, an International investment banking firm based in the DIFC and regulated by the DFSA. He was responsible for identifying and assessing compliance risks, designing and implementing appropriate policies, procedures, systems and controls, maintaining compliance manuals and related documentation, carrying out compliance monitoring and surveillance, and reporting to the Board of Directors and senior management on the appropriateness and effectiveness of the Firm’s systems and controls.
Kareem relocated to the UAE in 2013 when he joined SHUAA Capital as Compliance Manager. He managed several roles within the SHUAA Group, managing and supervising compliance and AML processes for four of their regulated entities. This provided broad exposure to multiple regulatory jurisdictions, maintaining regular interaction and reporting with the regulators including the Central Bank of the UAE, the DFSA, the UAE’s stock exchanges and the Securities & Commodities Authority.
Prior to moving to the UAE, Kareem was the Compliance Director for EFG-Hermes KSA in Saudi Arabia regulated by the Capital Market Authority. He was responsible for establishing the compliance department, drafting, maintaining & updating Compliance Manuals & Compliance Monitoring Programme and ensuring that all activities complied with regulatory requirements. Kareem’s other previous roles include Compliance Officer for an EFG-Hermes subsidiary in Egypt and regulated by the Egyptian Capital Market Authority.
Recent work includes:
- Authorised by the ADGM FSRA as the Compliance Officer and MLRO for several Category 3C and 4 authorised firms providing a variety of financial services (Fund Management, Asset Management, Arranging Deals in Investments, Advising on Investments or Credit).
- Assisting an ADGM authorised firm with their licence upgrade.
- Implementing a Compliance Monitoring Programme for an ADGM FSRA Authorised Asset Manager and a Fund Management Firm.
- Authorised by the DFSA as the Compliance Officer and MLRO for an International Investment Banking Firm.
- Creating bespoke solutions to organisations wishing to better understand their risk, and horizon-scanning with respect to forthcoming legislation that may impact their business activities.